What're the Advantages of EPaper Display?
E Ink is a popular type of electronic paper display technology. What are the advantages of EPaper Display? In this article, we will discuss the pros and cons of the Epaper display.
E Ink is a popular type of electronic paper display technology, characterized by high visibility and contrast, a wide viewing angle, and low power requirements. It is processed into a film for integration into electronic displays and has enabled novel applications in phones, watches, magazines, wearables, and e-readers, etc.
1. E Ink Paper Advantages
(1) Power Less. E-ink paper is the “Bi-Stable” state, images on E Ink paper will be hold on without any power, this means that the display is consuming power only when something is changing. That is, the E Ink paper consumes much less power, and, you can throw it anywhere when do not need to change the image on it. That is why the E-paper price labels popular used in Wal-Mart:
(2) Comfortable Reading. The E Ink paper is “reflective displays”, ambient light from the environment is reflected from the surface of the display back to the reader’s eyes, which makes it more comfortable for the reading.
2. EPaper Disadvantages
(1) Low Refreshing. Can only act as “paper”, but No for video display.
(2) Ghosting Effect. A shadow of an image may be visible after refreshing parts of the screen, er, actually the same problem of “low refreshing”.
3. Some Epaper Displays from Makerfabs
Anyway, it would be a good choice for displaying in your projects. Here are some hot E Ink PaPer displays in Makerfabs, do consider the following modules in your next hardware projects:
(1) 1.54 Inch Epaper Display
The display is a TFT active matrix electrophoretic display, with an interface and a reference system design. The 1.54” active area contains 200×200 pixels, and has 1-bit black/white and highlight red full display capabilities. An integrated circuit contains gate buffer, source buffer, interface, timing control logic, oscillator, DC-DC, SRAM, LUT, VCOM, and border are supplied with each panel.
(2) 2.13 Inch Epaper Display
The 2.13” active area contains 212×104 pixels and has 1-bit black/white and highlight red full display capabilities.
(3) 2.70 Inch Epaper Display
The 2.7” active area contains 264×176 pixels and has 1-bit white/black and 1-bit red full display capabilities.
(4) 2.90 Inch Epaper Display
This is an Eink electronic paper display panel, 2.9 inches 296 * 128 resolution, rectangular, 24 pins FPC connection, communication through the SPI interface, and partially refreshed IC drive.
Its waveform is stored on the chip OTP, supporting the black, white, and red display. In view of ultra-low power consumption, ultra-wide perspective, GDEW029Z10 is a good choice for smart tags, smartwatches, and other related products.